eBikes are awesome! They’re a great way to get around town, and they’re especially helpful for people who don’t have the mobility to ride a regular bike or who want to explore their city with a little more ease. But there are some things you need to know before you hop on your new ebike rental and hit the streets!
We’ve put together a list of ten things every beginner eBike rider should know:
1) Make sure your eBike is properly sized for your height, weight, and shoulders.
2) Make sure your eBike has been tested by an independent certified testing lab.
3) Make sure you have a helmet that fits right and that it’s fastened securely when riding.
4) Read up on any laws in your area regarding eBikes—they vary from state to state!
5) Be respectful of other cyclists on the road, particularly if they are using traditional bikes rather than eBikes!
6) It’s Not A Motorcycle, So Don’t Drive Like One.
7) Don’t Forget To Use Your Brakes.
8) Ride With The Flow Of Traffic.
9) Always Be Visible To Other Drivers And Pedestrians.
10) Be Careful Of Blind Spots When Riding Around Trucks And Buses.
11) Watch Out For Potholes, Curbs, And Other Obstacles.
12) Take Extra Precautions When Riding At Night Or In Poor Weather Conditions.
13) You can’t ride on the sidewalk.
14) You can’t ride on the sidewalk, even if you’re going slowly.
15) Even if you have a bell and a headlight, you can’t ride on the sidewalk.
So don’t bother trying to convince the cops that you were just practicing for your “eBike Olympics” when they find you doing it.
16) If you do go on the sidewalk, be sure to leave plenty of room for pedestrians to walk by without getting hit by your wheels or your handlebars (or both).
17) Make sure to always stop at stop signs and red lights—even if you’re riding an electric bike and don’t really need to worry about stopping at those things in order to avoid being pulled over by the police.
Riding an eBike is tons of fun, but the more you know, the better your experience will be. The tips above should provide a solid starting point for all new eBike riders, as well as offer some important reminders for more veteran riders. Best of luck.
About the Author:
Oren Sabag is an entrepreneur with 21 years of retail/wholesale experience. He now runs Bone Shaker Electric Bikes in Venice and Santa Monica. He also founded one of the first startups in the world that provided financial services to migrant workers via a mobile platform, Neema.